October 11, 1910
In Ohio’s Cuyahoga County, a recently completed bridge was dedicated in the Cleveland region. The new structure, carrying Detroit Road over the Rocky River, was the fifth bridge built at that location to connect the cities of Rocky River and Lakewood.
Construction on this version of the Detroit Rocky River Bridge began in 1908 in response to the need for a more modern structure that could adequately accommodate streetcars traveling through the area. The new bridge was designed by civil engineer Alfred Felgate. Wilbur Watson served as consulting engineer for this project. Their joint efforts resulted in an arched bridge that was an early example of the two-ribbed, open-spandrel type.
The fifth incarnation of the Detroit Rocky River Bridge also had at least one other claim to fame, namely the fact that its central concrete span of 208 feet (63.3 meters) was not reinforced with steel. This…
View original post 170 more words