The Opening of a New Bridge Between Pennsylvania and New Jersey 

The Opening of a New Bridge Between Pennsylvania and New Jersey 

Transportation History

 August 14, 1929

Despite rainy weather, the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge spanning the Delaware River made its debut amid great fanfare. This steel arch, double-leaf bascule structure links the borough of Palmyra, New Jersey, with the Tacony neighborhood in northeast Philadelphia.

The bridge, which replaced a ferry service that had been operating in the vicinity since 1922, was designed by renowned civil engineer Ralph Modjeski. It was Modjeski, as a matter of fact, who cut the silken cord in the middle of the bridge formally opening the structure to traffic. Others attending the dedication ceremony included New Jersey Governor Morgan Foster Larson, Pennsylvania Lieutenant-Governor Arthur H. James, Philadelphia Mayor Harry A. Mackey, and the mayors of various nearby New Jersey municipalities.

Photo Credit: Aerolin 55 (licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/deed.en)

For more information on the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge, please check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacony%E2%80%93Palmyra_Bridge

View original post