This bridge was built towards the end of World War II, 75 years ago. It was last rehabilitated in 2010 and still serves as a vital link to the coastal area from Charleston. Information and photos can be seen here and in the link enclosed here.
June 18, 1945
On South Carolina’s Atlantic coast, a new swing bridge linking Mount Pleasant (the largest town in the Palmetto State) with Sullivan’s Island (both an island and a town) was opened to traffic. The Ben Sawyer Bridge was officially dedicated a couple of days later.
While construction plans for this bridge took shape by the summer of 1941, the actual building efforts slowed down considerably for the most part as a result of the U.S. entry in World War II and the consequent shortage of available steel. With the steadfast support of the U.S. military, however, full-scale construction on the bridge started up again in 1943 and the structure was completed two years later.
The bridge was named in memory of Ben Mack Sawyer, a longtime chief highway commissioner of the South Carolina Highway Department. Sawyer, who was born in the South Carolina town of Salley in 1890…
View original post 421 more words