September 10, 1932
The George Westinghouse Memorial Bridge was officially opened in the borough of East Pittsburgh in southwestern Pennsylvania’s Allegheny County. One newspaper characterized the debuting bridge as “the most recent link in Pennsylvania’s maze of beautiful highways.”
The 1,598-foot (487.1-meter)-long bridge, which consists of five spans and carries U.S. Route 30 over the Turtle Creek Valley, was named in memory of engineer and electrical industry pioneer George Westinghouse (1846-1914). His world-famous Westinghouse Electric Corporation plant was located in East Pittsburgh at the time of the bridge’s debut; an industrial park can now be found at that site. The bridge was constructed to serve as a bypass and specifically to divert traffic from what had become the time-consuming and sometimes dangerous routes through the valley.
Approximately 30,000 people showed up for the Saturday afternoon opening festivities for the bridge, and a band consisting of Westinghouse employees entertained the crowd with music for…
View original post 155 more words