February 12, 1909
On the centennial of Abraham Lincoln’s birth, a footbridge bearing his name was dedicated at Platt National Park (now part of the Chickasaw National Recreation Area) in south-central Oklahoma adjacent to the town of Sulphur. The Lincoln Bridge, built across Travertine Creek in the park, replaced a succession of rickety wooden bridges at the location that were each either washed away or in need of constant repairs. A bridge was needed at the site as a key part of the travel route between the main entrance to the park at Sulphur and – just south of the creek – cold-water mineral springs that were widely believed to have important therapeutic qualities.
The necessity of a more durable bridge over the creek that could safely support pedestrians mushroomed with the ever-increasing popularity of the park and in particular the mineral springs. Albert Greene, the park’s superintendent, awarded the task of building a…
View original post 161 more words